Sunday, July 24, 2005

Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games

Wow. Three posts in just one day. Now my addiction is on a roll now! Blogster's much much better than Friendster in my opinion. And wow, I'm surprised I'm not instinctively typing in chat format like using acronyms such as IMO, BTW, OMG, et cetera.

It's been two months since I was last online in Ragnarok. That itself is surprising. Long ago when my addiction was still at berserk state, I could not stand even just a day of no playing. I felt like I not only wanted to play but I HAD to. Man, it felt as though I was hypnotized by the game. I was like a mindless computer programmed to serve the game. I treated it like an altar to be offered. Stop! I don't wanna think about it anymore!

But still, playing that game was both a dream and a disaster. I was both in heaven and hell. Being in that game felt like... I don't really know! Hell, why can't I describe it!? Before I could use as much as one 1,000 words to give it a description! Still, I'm giving it my best shot!

I perceived the game as a dimension to escape the world of rash reality. To get away. Kuya Allan once told me that his main aim was to have fun. "I already hae too many problems in real life! I don't want anymore here in Ragnarok! Just let me have fun for a change!" That was my aim too but certain real life catastrophes tend to reshape one's tendencies.

I could still remember the exact date and time I first played Ragnarok Online or simply RO. January 11th, Sunday, 7:00am. I viewed RO as just another video game to keep me entertained or simply as a hobby like Final Fantasy for the PS2. But then, RO was a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, not just a typical Role-Playing Game. In console RPGs, you still act as the main character of the game but he still isn't you. He still has hiw own personality and motives. He may be you in the game but you are not him. You just control him, manipulating him to achieve his goals. Console RPGs don't give you your own blueprint.

But MMORPGs are different. You are your own character. You have no built-in blueprint to tell you what to do. Your attitude is also your character's. That's the magical thing about Ragnarok Online. It's like playing an almost realistic game of pretend where no one will make fun of you. Those were the days... But now, I don't think it's for entertainment anymore. Hardcore players treat it as an objective. It's now a stadium instead of a playground. The competition has become too fierce. 'Sides, what's the use of playing a game of goons now? It's already corrupted by bots! It's become an essential part of the game now. Damn it. I should have believed earlier that Kathleen was right! One day, the bots will overrule the land. And then it will be the time to quit.

I once had a massive argument with Master Diwa about this and I was surprised his matters made a lot of sense! But still they only made sense in the realm of Ragnarok. Real life almost had naught to do with it! But... Shit! This is getting so damn confusing!

Anyway, this manuscript might only turn into a raging literature than a peaceful pool of ponders. I don't want my reveries enraged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home