Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Inevitable

December 27th, 2005 11:45am

Condolence... Don't worry. He's in a better place now. I never knew my grandpa 'coz the year he died was the year I was born. I really wanted to meet him... Came from a humble star but carved his destiny. The man who changed and steered the lives of his ten sons and daughters. He was a great man and I feel your grandpa was too. You were lucky you met yours. He did not die because he lives in our hearts and in our memories until it's our turn. Unlike me, I don't have any. But you know what? He did the next best thing. He gave me three mothers and a family. And for that I am forever grateful...

Thanks Jeff. That made me feel better...

Just last night a few minutes before midnight, we received news. It was from the inevitable. Mom called up. She told me that PapaTony has finally passed away. I was surprised of course. I never expected it to be this soon. He was such a good man. Mom couldn't stop herself from crying last night. Christine too cried without warning. I guess grandparental love too is inborn. I cried too although I've spent quite some tears before we left Manila.

Christine and I reminisced our last summer vacation in their home in Las Pinas. We remembered PapaTony's extreme kindness and hospitality to us. He welcomed us with open arms especially me despite being a relentless rebel. How he had the PC in good working condition just for us, how he brought us all the way to Glorietta and ATC just to go sight-seeing, and all those food trips in McDonald's and Burger King with them. Haha... I remember. He and MamaLud would usually cut a Fish Fillet in half and share it. Those were the days...

I couldn't blame Pops for being emotionally ballistic too last night.

"PapaTony... He was such a good man. Even after all the horrible things I did to your mom, he never hated me, he never swore at me. I can't believe I couldn't make it to his final moments. The last time I saw him was on October. He was still healthy that time... I'm glad I managed to talk to him one last time on the 24th."

I never knew that would be the very last time I'll see him alive. In the hospital. We all couldn't stand to see him like that. Everyone was crying out of Patony's sight. All of them. Tito Bubot was always seen crying alone. Mom and Ninang Mari always couldn't help but shed tears whenever the topic's about Patony. One night I saw Tita Cherry crying on Rapahel's shoulder. Even Tito Joey and Tito Mike couldn't help but cry. So much Raphael and I just wanted to walk out of the scene. We can't take this burdenful sadness.

But the good thing is at least now Patony's no longer suffering. He is in peace now. And we're all thankful that Patony truly was a great man here on earth and we're thankful for him that he lived to celebrate his Golden Anniversary and have 21 grandchildren. It could've been more festive if he had great-grandchildren too. Too bad Ate Tweet and Kranium still do not wish to marry. Haha...

Mom told me... Patony's death was very timely. He was finally informed on the 23rd that he had cancer. Seven days later came his time. A few short moments before going, he gave his final will and words. Only two breaths after his last letters, the inevtiable hovered down and came. at least he had his wish granted. Peace before death and peace hereafter.

He is gone and we are still alive. Once I fly back to Manila, I'll pay my tributes and gain life-meaningful lessons from him. It's still a long time before our turn comes...

And one more thing... I'm deeply gratified to live to have complete sets of grandparents for 17 years. Thank you Lord. I'm grateful. All of us. We're forever grateful.

But as the stars are going out
And this stage is full of nothing
And the friends have all but gone
For my life my god I'm singing
-Lacuna Coil, Stars

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sorry i have not told you earlier that i had forseen this.. i didn't calculated that it was this year.. i have guessed it at early jan. based on the condition you had told me.. im am greatly sorry for your loss.. The only enevitable are changes either for good or bad, the ultimate balance.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my.. i am deeply sorry sister! dont' worry i know hes' in a better place than this cruel, lovely world. My grandpa was nice too! even we never met him, we know how he look, behave, act, likings and personality bec. my aunt apollonia has a good memory of the past and she was the one who told me all about my grandpa! i wish we have met urs! coz i feel hes' very nice person!

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I offer my Deep Condolences Lady Lunete.. I have told you to ready yourself.. For the winds of change swept those who are unprepared. Please understand that expect the unexpected! When our grandma died last 2004 i didnt feel anything but relief.. bec. i dont want her to suffer to much, bec. she already had. no tears had run down from my eyes.bec. i know she is happy to rest eternally w/ our creator. "death is not always the end. bec. for every end there is a new beginning"

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ei.. dont worry too much.. i have met many friends along the way of this perilous journey called life. many had come and go. One thing is for certain.. nobody dies for no reason! bec. i believe we have roles in this life! and i believe too that your grandpa has done his role majestically and greatly and he will leave you at peace! long hail papa tony! your example shall not be forgotten or go in vain!*raises his sword*

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have told you what a brother, enemy, advisor, guardian and a friend whould tell you in this times... tnx for posting that.. Papa tony! tnx for giving me lunette reverie we shall not forget you! rest in peace..

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home