Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Feature Problem

Always fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers, never lack sympathy for the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare. Never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty.
-Joseph Pulitzer, founder of the New York World


I have a problem. I need to write a feature article for the Sentinel Press, Lyceum's school paper, in order to gain membership. I know what to write about but what I don't know is HOW to write it.

Twist warned me that many people especially employers do not appreciate people who are better than them. I've got the sick feeling that's the reason why the people from the Hope Journal (my high school's paper) tried not to give me a spot. Of course I don't mean to brag. Whenever I enter competitions, I have a series of panic attacks that leads to my lack of focus and concentration. Forlorn I may be, I still seek a cure for this.

Now Sentinel also looks for contributors with the theme 'Beginnings'. I've an idea for that but I can't completely solidify it yet.

Maybe I should consult both Twist and Kuya Wine more.

Ultimately you have to please yourself before you please anyone else.
-J. K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series

If people start talking shit about you, that means they're touched. And it's a good sign. And we don't care what they say about us or our music. We don't give a fuck.
-Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil

2 Comments:

Blogger Mekhet said...

hmm... iba pla ang process sa inyo to join the college paper...when I joined the Phoenix [Lyceum of Batangas official collegiate newspaper] I just a took an exam, which was just a mix of grammar, proof reading, and editing articles...

goodluck on that! hope you find inspiration for what you are going to write for them!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Eamane said...

I had an experience with that back in high school, and when I applied for the COC for Candy Magazine. It somehow made me worry about the Ed's opinion but then again, confidence in your work (and yourself) IS a big factor. I got in btw, and ended up as the Features Ed in my 4th year in high school. My advice: Be assertive. :) I know you are... so I wish you all the best. :)

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home