Sunday, August 06, 2006

Chronicles of Readership

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's been a long while since I've seen that film on the big screen with Jeff and Gracey and it feels like it's only been minutes since I've watched it. Well technically, I DID watch it a few minutes ago. My five-year old sister Eliza popped into the DVD player. Back in early May, I bought an original VCD copy of the movie since I wanted to keep an authentic piece of the masterpiece. I don't like the idea of owning a pirated DVD as to keep a precious memory that connects to the film. After all, I wanted Mom and my sisters to experience this. There are no decent theatres even in the big city of a faraway provincial island.

The first book I've read by C.S. Lewis is The Silver Chair, the sixth book from The Chronicles of Narnia, and how it enamored me knowing that there are some books as radical as Harry Potter. We were assigned a book report by our English teacher then. It was way back in 2nd Year High School. Since all other good (and short and thin) books were all taken from the library, I was lef with no other choice but to take The Silver Chair. It was old and moldy which I reckon why nobody bothered to take it. Do not judge the book by its cover, wise man says. I still find it amazing how many people ignore these sayings no matter how they are proclaimed wise.

I finished The Silver Chair in less than a day and made a very detailed book report. No wonder I had a perfect score *ahem*. Since then, I dug the library for other books by C.S. Lewis. I wasn't tad impressed with Prince Caspian and The Voyage of Dawn Treader though. They lacked excitement and intrigue and always kept me just itching to finished the book out of boredom. For the next year's book report, I did The Horse and His Boy. I borrowed it in the morning and returned it in the afternoon of the same day. It was that interesting. I finished it quickly since I wanted to know how the story ended.

Only books from The Chronicles of Narnia that I am yet to read are The Magician's Nephew, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, and The Last Battle. I partly don't want to watch the second mentioned anymore since I've already watched the film.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Again, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is what I personally believe a flop of grandeur. Such a luminous enchanting novel adapted into a rushed hollow two hours and a half film that's not even as substantial as the book. Although it did gross more than Narnia did, I still believe that the people were only hypnotized by the novel's success and were then drawn into watching the film. I can't deny that J.K. Rowling has a very wild imagination and creativity though. She's one of my continuing sources of inspiration!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home