Wednesday, November 22, 2006

On-the-Job Evaluation

Just this late afternoon at 5pm, I had my On-the-Job Evaluation (OJE) at McDonald's Las PiƱas. It was pretty challenging and exciting. We were all to wait at the conference hall along with my fellow OJE'ers and wait for further instructions. Surprisingly, all of us were calm and collected.

We were divided into two groups. Ours was first assigned to the lobby for the first hour then assistance to the counter the next hour. Before all that, all of us were led to the employee's area. Funny though. We were treated like tourists but of course the manager Ma'am Lanie may be friendly but she still had the air of authority.

Now that fed my childhood curiosity. Although I've developed a slight idea of what the food area might look like according to my visits to McDonald's, it felt like I was a kid exploring a planetarium. So that's how chicken nuggets were made and cooked.

Meticulous! Even washing hands had a proper procedure to follow! We even had to memorize the name of the handwash. Well, it was called Anti-Microbial Handwash or AMH. Ma'am Lanie told us for it might appear in the written exam afterwards. We were shown the wash area, proper cleaning equipment and the closet where the sanitizer, brooms and mops were stored. All was taught and we were ready as ever!

Being the excited trainee, I volunteered to wear the belt bag holding the color-coded rags, yellow for trays and tables and blue for chairs and other things that have no physical contact with food. Finally, Ma'am Lanie exclaimed, "You're off! Find some things to do and keep yourselves busy. You will all be evaluated by your performances."

So off I was! Since I was assigned at the lobby, my assignment was to sweep floors, clean away leftovers, wipe tables, and greet customers with the overused lines, "Good evening Ma'am/Sir! Welcome to McDonald's!" then eventually bid them goodbye with "Thank you Ma'am/Sir! Come again!" Honestly, it was tiring but fun!

Then it was time for round two of the OJE. Our group was assigned to assist those attending the counter. We were assigned merely to serving drinks and no other food. Ma'am Lanie said we still lacked experience and training to do so (It's alright really. I wasn't offended.). It was pretty simple. We were first taught the different cup sizes and their uses, the right amount of ice to be out and the right size for lemonade, iced tea, orange juice and Happy Meals.

That position felt awkward though. We just had to stand beside the ones we were assisting and we were somehow in the way of other employees. Sure, we sometimes got bumped and even pushed aside but it made no big deal. It was the OJE. I can't let my emotions get in the way.

At long last, we were all called back to the conference room. We were given another written exam about how much we learned from the OJE. We all finished and passed papers. We received an allowance of a Burger McDo and a small Coke each. It was very satisfying. And Ma'am Lanie was very nice and approachable. We were to be updated before Sunday this week. I'm feeling quite anxious.

I went home. Mom was happy about my having a part-time job. In fact she seemed more excited than I was.

And on a final note, I'm glad I cancelled my plan to work for a call center. McDonald's is more practical and convenient. They prioritize working students and they even adjust to your shcedule. Plus the management is worker-friendly. They say a full time call center work alone is enough to deprive you of your health. What more if added the burden of school work? I knew some schoolmates who are already half-dead from school and call center labor.

It'll be fine. I know I'll make it. ^^x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home